Australian Open: Serena Williams qualified for the quarterfinals
Sports Adina Camarasu
https://stocknewsusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/gtyserenawilliamsjt1509114x3992-1473318926.jpg
The American tennis player, Serena Williams, 2nd WTA and leader in number 2 series, has qualified on Monday for the quarterfinals of the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the year.
The game will be played on a hard surface and will bring prizes in money, totaling $ 50 million.
In the final round, the former ex-world leader, Serena Williams has passed by the Czech sportswoman, Barbora Strycova, with a minimum of sets, scoring 7-5, 6-4.
So, Serena Williams ensured for herself a check valuing $ 440,000 and 430 WTA points.
In the quarters, the American will have to confront the British Johanna Konta, the favorite number 9.
Johanna Konta has managed to advance in this phase of the competition, after beating the Russian Ekaterina Makarova (30 WTA), scoring 6-1, 6-4.
Serena Williams, aged 35 years, has achieved during her career six titles to her name in Australian Open: 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2015.
Serena Williams, regaining the world’s leadership in tennis
To regain her first place in the global hierarchy, the American must conquer the title in Australian Open.
Earlier in January, Serena Williams flared at the end of the game she lost in front of Madison Brengle, scoring 4-6, 7-6, 4-6, in the final round of Auckland.
‘I think I have played without words. I am trying to find a word that won’t be obscene. That is how I played. 88 unforced mistakes it’s too much. I cannot expect to win making so many mistakes’, was Serena’s statement.
Also, Serena Williams has stated that she never made so many mistakes during a match and she’ll never look back to that time when she played so awful.


Leave a Comment